Simon Firth principally advises investment managers and fund sponsors on the establishment, promotion, regulation and operation of alternative investment funds including hedge, private equity, UCITS and real estate funds. His related transactional work comprises fund seeding and restructuring and business acquisitions and disposals of investment firms. His work frequently involves establishing and structuring investment management businesses, usually as limited companies or LLPs, and drafting their shareholders’ or members’ agreements. Simon also regularly advises clients on regulatory matters, including the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive, FCA authorization, financial promotion, conduct of business rules and customer documentation. This advice often involves analysis of applicable UK and EU regulations against equivalent SEC provisions. Simon is a regular speaker on investment management and regulatory matters, and frequently contributes articles on industry matters.
Simon is ranked in Chambers UK 2016, where he has been praised as “an absolute quality solicitor.” An earlier version of Chambers UK described him as a “highly valued funds partner” and clients noted that “‘he is a very knowledgeable individual who is more than happy to go the extra mile to get things done and isn’t afraid to push back if it is in your interests.’” Simon is also recognized in The Legal 500 UK, IFLR 1000, Best Lawyers in the UK, Expert Guides – Banking, Financial and Transactional Law and Investment Funds Lawyers for Investment Funds in the UK.
- Representation of MacKay Shields LLC in the formation of Plainview Funds plc, a new Irish-qualifying investor fund and of MacKay Shields UK LLP on its FCA variation of permission application to be an AIFM.
- Advice to IPM Informed Portfolio Management on compliance by its Cayman funds with AIFMD and acting as UK counsel for IPM Systematic Macro Fund and IPM Systematic Currency Fund.
- Representation of Highgate Capital Management LLP on the launch of Highgate Capital Fund, a Cayman Islands activist fund.
- Advice to Ebullio Capital Management on the restructuring of Ebullio's UK funds to comply with the AIFMD.
- ILPA Releases New Private Equity Fee Reporting Guidelines; Presses for Additional Fund Transparency February 1, 2016
- Best Lawyers UK 2017 Recognizes Firth and Axford January 28, 2016
- Chambers UK 2016 Recognizes Kaye Scholer’s London Partners October 28, 2015