Dr. Gottfried Freier is Special Counsel at Kaye Scholer and headed the Frankfurt office as its Managing Partner from 2007 to May 2012. Prior to going into private practice, Dr. Freier was in-house counsel with BASF Aktiengesellschaft in the Patent, Central Legal and Group Tax Departments, and later became General Counsel of BASF Pharma, with worldwide responsibility for legal, taxes, insurance and trademarks.全部显示
As a result of his extensive experience in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries, Dr. Freier often represents clients in these sectors, ranging in size from small start-up and medium-sized companies to large multinational groups. He advises on a variety of matters, including mergers and acquisitions, general corporate matters, and technology transactions, including licensing and cooperation agreements, transfer of product rights, research, development and commercialization agreements (e.g., co-promotion and co-marketing) contract research and development, clinical trial arrangements, and contract manufacturing, as well as non-disclosure and material transfer agreements.
Dr. Freier is often sought-after to advise industrial enterprises in many business sectors, because of his comprehensive experience as both a lawyer in private practice and, “at the other end of the table,” as in-house counsel. In addition to his activities as a lawyer, Dr. Freier serves as a chairman of the supervisory board of a corporation dealing in IT hardware.
In Chambers Europe 2012 Dr. Gottfried Freier was identified as a leading practitioner in Life Sciences. A client is quoted as saying, "He is an experienced lawyer acting on a global level."
Dr. Freier is a member of the Licensing Executive Society (“LES”). He is fluent in German and in English, and has written on intellectual property and biotechnology topics.
- Advised 4SC (Germany) in
- Outlicensing to / R&D Collaboration with BionNTech AG
- Acquisition of oncology portfolio (asset deal) from Nycomed GmbH
- Option agreement for the acquisition of a license to Serono
- Sale/contribution of technology in joint venture with XL-Tech Group
- Aquisition project relating to proposed assest purchase from insolvent US company by German biotech company.
- Advised Activaero (Germany), a therapeutic area specialist developing i.a. cutting-edge solutions for patients suffering from severe respiratory disorders, on an undisclosed partnership in pulmonary hypertension
- Advised CellControl, a German biomedical company, in an outlicensing agreement regarding CellControl‘s proprietary antibody AbagovoMAB with Menarini
- Advised Melbrosin, a Swiss held group dealing in ITC products and neutraceuticals in the sale of its OTC business to BioProgress plc (U.K.) (subsequently known as Meldex plc)
- Advised Pfizer (US) in various transactions and general compliance
- Advised Phylos, a US biotech company developing technologies identifying and analyzing properties in certain diseases, in an asset aquisition from Aventis
- Represented Rentschler (Germany) in:
- Divestiture of ist pharmaceutical business to Medice
- Strategic investment in CellCA GmbH
- Advised Santhera, a public Swiss specialty pharmaceutical company in various outlicensing agreements with Takeda regarding Idebenone
- Advised Sequenom, US genomic and genetic test provider for research and diagnostic markets, in the outlicensing of prenatal diagnosis testing technology to LifeCodeXX, Germany
- Advised Xcel, a US pharma/biotech company in the acquisition of a pharmaceutical product from Viatris.