Dr. Sebastian Jungermann is a partner in Kaye Scholer’s Frankfurt office. Sebastian advises clients regarding German and European competition and antitrust laws, including German, EU and multi-jurisdictional merger control proceedings, cartel proceedings, abuse-of-dominance proceedings, litigation, compliance programs, as well as internal audits and contractual advice. Sebastian represents his clients before courts, the German Federal Cartel Office, the European Commission as well as the US Department of Justice. Sebastian further advises in the fields of corporate law, IP, data protection, outsourcing and other technology-related areas. In addition, Sebastian is involved in international litigation, including pre-trial discovery proceedings in support of US litigation.
Sebastian joined Kaye Scholer in 2002. In 2004, he worked at Kaye Scholer's New York office in their antitrust and corporate groups. Prior to joining Kaye Scholer, Sebastian worked at Linklaters in Frankfurt. In 2006, Sebastian was promoted to Counsel, in 2009 to Partner.
Sebastian is a co-author of Frankfurter Kommentar Kartellrecht, a leading commentary on German and European antitrust law and he regularly publishes articles in the fields of antitrust, compliance, corporate, and other related topics. Sebastian wrote his legal thesis on the use of electronic signatures as evidence in legal proceedings. Sebastian also has frequent speaking engagements on the topics of antitrust, compliance, and pre-trial discovery.
International and German legal directories recommend Sebastian as a “leading lawyer” in his field. Recommended by Chambers Europe 2013, Chambers Europe 2014, and Chambers Europe 2015 as a leading antitrust practitioner, Sebastian is praised by impressed clients as being "very polite and extremely savvy on merger control and antitrust law”, for his “responsiveness, industry knowledge and commercial awareness,” and “clients praise his language abilities, saying: "His ability to explain a very unfamiliar legal framework in English is excellent." Sebastian was also named an Competition and Antitrust Life Science Star in Germany in the 2014 edition of Life Sciences Europe by Legal Media Group. Also the German JUVE Handbook 2015/2016, Legal 500 Deutschland and Kanzleien in Deutschland (Law Firms in Germany) praise Sebastian as a leading antitrust practitioner in Germany.
Sebastian is Chairman of the Board of the Antitrust Forum Frankfurt (Kartellrechtsforum Frankfurt am Main), a member of the Antitrust Lawyers Association for Germany, Austria and Switzerland (Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht), the American Bar Association - Section of Antitrust Law, the German Lawyers Association (Deutscher Anwaltverein), the German-American Lawyers' Association (DAJV), the German Association of Law and Informatics (DGRI), and the German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property and Copyrights (GRUR).
- Represented Onex, in its sale of The Warranty Group, a leading global provider of warranty solutions and related programs, to private equity firm TPG for an enterprise value of approximately $1.5 billion.
- Represented the shareholders of Hastings Insurance Group, one of Europe's fastest growing insurance businesses, in the sale of 50 percent of Hastings voting share capital to Goldman Sachs Merchant Banking Division. The transaction was financed through a mixture of equity and new debt financing, implied a net enterprise value of approximately $1.1 billion.
- Represented VanDeMark Chemical, the largest, independent manufacturer of phosgene and phosgene derivatives in North America, in its acquisition of Framochem from ISOCHEM.
- Represented MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates in the acquisition of Space Systems/Loral Inc. for $875 million, a Palo Alto, California-based subsidiary of Loral Space & Communications that builds satellites primarily for commercial clients.
- Represented Bank of America Corp. in its sale, along with Barclays, of the remaining 26.5% stake in Archstone to Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. for $1.58 billion.
- Represented Bank of America Corp. in its sale, along with Barclays, of half of the banks’ stake, or 26.5% of Archstone, to Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. for $1.325 billion.
- Represented American Securities in its acquisition of Unifrax, the leading global manufacturer of high-temperature insulating fiber products.
- Represented Onex and its affiliates in their investment of $871 million in JELD-WEN, a leading manufacturer of residential and light commercial interior and exterior doors, windows and related products.
- Represented Safran in its $1.09 Billion Acquisition of L-1 Identity Solutions, Inc., which provides technology, products, systems and solutions, and services that protect and secure personal identities and assets.
- Represented Essie Cosmetics in its acquisition by L'Oréal.
- Represented Sandoz, a subsidiary of Novartis, in its $1.525 billion acquisition of specialty dermatology generics company Fougera Pharmaceuticals from a consortium of private equity funds led by Nordic Capital, DLJ Merchant Banking (a Credit Suisse affiliate) and Avista Capital Partners.
- Represented Jarden Corporation in its acquisition of Mapa Spontex Baby Care and Home Care Businesses from French conglomerate Total S.A for $500 million.
- Represented Avail Medical Products, a privately-held market leader in disposable medical devices, and its shareholders in its sale by merger to Flextronics International.
- Represented Parsons Brinckerhoff in the sale of its infrastructure engineering and design firm to Balfour Beatty for $626 million.
- Represented American Securities in its sale of Unifrax, a leading global manufacturer of high-temperature insulating fiber products.
- Represented Paris based SAFRAN-Group in various high profile transactions, acquisitions and joint ventures.
- Represented DIMENSION DATA in various transactions and general matters including compliance, litigation, corporate and finance.
- Represented the Honsel Family, also in connection with the sale of the HONSEL-Group to Carlyle, and the secondary buyout from Carlyle to Ripplewood.
- Represented German real estate investors to recover title to property in Manhattan worth $20 million including US pre-trial discovery.
- Represented various Companies, Officers and Managers in antitrust investigations and proceedings before the German Cartel Authority, the European Commission and the US Department of Justice, including the investigations regarding Air Cargo, Auto Parts, Rolled Asphalt, Chinaware, among others.
- Represented various large companies from Germany and Switzerland in support of US pre-trial discovery and managing hundreds of custodians, terabytes of electronic data and large review teams located in Germany.
In The Market
- Chambers Europe 2016 Recognizes Kaye Scholer May 2, 2016 • 评级与认同
- Jungermann and Steger Counsel Water Integrity Network on Libel Law March 31, 2016 • 新闻公告
- Kaye Scholer Represents J.W. Childs in Investment in Comoto Holdings Inc. March 17, 2016 • 新闻公告