Jane Parver is an experienced trial lawyer who concentrates her practice in the area of civil and white collar litigation and internal investigations. She represents Fortune 500 companies, individuals, and public entities in a broad range of civil and criminal matters, trials, and appeals in state and federal courts, as well as federal and state agency proceedings. Ms. Parver regularly counsels clients on board governance issues, compliance issues and internal problems, develops corporate codes of conduct, and conducts internal investigations.
Ms. Parver was the Executive Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York from 1983 to 1985, as well as Chief of the Public Corruption Unit and Chief of the Major Crimes Unit. During her tenure (1976–1985), she received the distinguished Director’s Award for Superior Performance as an Assistant United States Attorney, as well as awards from the Internal Revenue Service and the Drug Enforcement Administration.
In 1985, Ms. Parver was a member of the Liman Commission, which investigated allegations concerning New York City Medical Examiner Dr. Elliot Gross.
From 1994 to 2006, Ms. Parver was a member of the New York City Conflicts of Interest Board, appointed by Mayors Rudolph W. Giuliani and Michael R. Bloomberg. The five-person Board has broad powers and responsibilities under Chapter 68 of the New York City Charter, which governs the ethical conduct of all New York City public servants. The Board’s responsibilities include promulgating rules interpreting the conflicts of interest law, issuing opinions, initiating investigations, administering the City’s financial disclosure law, and enforcing the conflicts of interest and financial disclosure laws. In 2007, Ms. Parver received the Powell Pierpoint Award for outstanding service to the Board.
In late 1994–early 1995, Ms. Parver was a member of Mayor-elect Guiliani’s Transition Team for Uniformed Services, which screened and recommended candidates for Commissioners of the New York City Police, Fire and Correction Departments.
Ms. Parver is a Special Master of the First Appellate Department, appointed in 2012 to conduct mediations. She is also a Referee for the First Department Appellate Division Disciplinary Committee, formerly chaired a hearing panel of that Disciplinary Committee and is a Referee for the New York State Commission on Judicial Conduct.
Ms. Parver established and now oversees the Susan Price Carr Scholarship Committee, which awards several scholarships annually to Columbia Law School students. She is a member of the Board of the ASPCA and Columbia Law School's Board of Visitors and is a former board member of the New York Council of Defense Lawyers (“NYCDL”). She is also a member of the Board of the Curran Principal Academy (formerly the Paul J. Curran Foundation).
White Collar, Board Governance, Compliance and Internal Investigations
- Represented clients in grand jury and SEC investigations of FCPA violations, and has handled related MLAT subpoenas.
- Represented numerous clients in grand jury, SEC and NASD investigations of insider trading and other violations, as well as in parallel civil proceedings. Clients include an arbitrage firm, the heads of the stock loan and arbitrage departments of major brokerage firms, high-level traders and equity sales representatives, and corporate officers and directors.
- Represented special committee of independent directors of largest U.S. diagnostic imaging company, Medical Resources, Inc., in conducting internal investigation of related party transactions by various directors, who were also under government scrutiny. Following receipt of the special committee’s report, the U.S. Attorney’s office and SEC determined not to take further action. Conducted similar investigation of director and officer misconduct for the board of directors of an oil and gas company.
- Represented major public company in investigation by New York State Attorney General of compliance with tax and environmental laws.
- Represented clients in healthcare-related matters, including the representation of major pharmaceutical company in federal and state investigations regarding Medicare and Medicaid pricing and reimbursement issues, the representation of employees of major pharmaceutical company in federal grand jury investigation regarding Medicaid pricing and reimbursement issues, and the representation of chief financial officer of a major nursing home group in federal civil and criminal investigations involving Medicaid reimbursement.
- Represented New York State Senate in New York County grand jury investigation.
- Represented elected District Attorney of upstate county in New York County grand jury investigation.
- Represented medical device and pharmaceutical companies in FDA and internal investigations and in various civil proceedings; represented apparel-industry executives in grand jury and U.S. Customs investigations and related civil litigation; represented several elected and appointed New York state and county officials in federal and state investigations; and represented magazine distributor in federal antitrust investigation and publishing company in grand jury investigations.
- Represented non-profit provider of welfare programs in federal grand jury investigation involving awards of New York City contracts.
- Conducted numerous internal investigations of, e.g., alleged fraud, kick-backs, computer theft and financial mismanagement, for major companies in such industries as insurance, banking, construction, steel, publishing, entertainment, cosmetics and perfume; and represented rock star’s charitable foundation in negotiations with state attorneys general and conducted an internal investigation.
- Lead counsel for Eastern Airlines, Inc. in lengthy grand jury and FAA investigations involving alleged maintenance violations and false statements to federal agencies.
- Represented one New York State Senator in New York County grand jury investigation and another New York State Senator in a federal grand jury investigation.
Commercial, Securities, and Financial Litigation
- Represented numerous public companies, as well as directors and officers in §10-b(5) and §11 securities litigations and board governance issues. Currently representing broadcast company in litigation alleging securities act violations in initial public offering.
- Special litigation counsel to Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Color Tile Inc. in suit against Color Tile’s majority shareholder and affiliated financial advisor involving negligence, fraudulent transfer, and valuation issues in connection with an acquisition and related public financing, which caused Color Tile’s demise. The case resulted in a substantial settlement on the eve of a four-week jury trial. Currently representing the Committee in appealing the dismissal of similar charges against Color Tile’s public auditor and advisor.
- Litigated numerous actions in federal and state courts regarding partnership, trusts and family disputes involving multiple issues, including RICO, fiduciary responsibilities and valuation.
- Represented clients in several real estate-related litigations, including lead counsel for major developer of Times Square in a complex arbitration with government bodies, concerning the terms and structure of the entire project’s proposed bid package for subway and mezzanine construction.
- Trial counsel to Legal Representative for Future Claimants in the Owens Corning bankruptcy, in a four-week trial concerning substantive consolidation and elimination of upstream guarantees of bank debt and a two-week trial estimating Owens Corning’s present and future asbestos liability.
- Trial counsel to Legal Representative for Future Claimants in the Armstrong World Industries bankruptcy, including a one-week trial estimating the company’s present and future asbestos liability.
- Special counsel to the PCA Liquidating Trust for litigation and mediation of claims involving electrical power trading arising from the collapse of PowerCompany of America.
- Trial counsel in a five-week trial in In re Landmark Distributors, Inc., involving issues of bad faith, valuation and damages in the entertainment industry.
- Trial counsel in In re Caldor Corp., involving challenges to Employee Retention Program, suits over proceeds of liquidation sales, challenges to reorganization plans, and injunctions to stay class action securities fraud cases from proceeding against officers and directors.
- In re Hillsborough Holdings Corporation (also known as Jim Walter Corporation), involving challenges to reorganization plans, valuation issues and change of control.
- Counsel to investment bank/majority shareholder of leading supermarket chain in Bankruptcy Examiner’s investigation of LBO in In re Bruno’s.
- Lead U.S. lawyer for the Joint Administrators of the privately held Robert Maxwell companies, including prosecuting fraud claims, conducting asset searches, conducting two trials and assisting in the U.K. proceedings.
- Represented Legal Representative for Future Claimants in the USG bankruptcy.
Entertainment, Media and Communications
- Counsel to ABC and Granada Productions in trial defeating injunction sought by CBS on grounds that ABC’s reality show infringed the copyright formula of “Survivor.”
- Represented Chris-Craft Industries, Inc. and BHC Communications Inc. in several matters in the New York and Delaware courts regarding Warner Communications’ proposed mergers with Lorimar Telepictures Corporation and Time, NewsCorp’s acquisition of Chris-Craft, Inc., and Viacom Inc.’s proposed acquisition of CBS Broadcasting.
- Worldvision Enterprises, Inc. in suit by Viacom/MTV to block the sale to Turner Broadcasting of important exhibition rights.
- Represented Miramax Films in suit by New Line Cinema Corp. to block the release of the motion picture “Operation Condor.”
In The Market
- Kaye Scholer Pro Bono Efforts Help Preserve Kansas’ Independent Judiciary January 4, 2016 • 新闻公告
- Round One in Kansas Court Funding Fight Goes to Kaye Scholer Client September 8, 2015 • 新闻公告
- Kaye Scholer Represents Kansas District Court Judge Threatening Legal Challenge to Judicial Budget Bill July 27, 2015 • 新闻公告