Paula Ramer is Counsel in Kaye Scholer’s Complex Commercial Litigation Department and a member of the firm’s White Collar Litigation and Internal Investigations Group. She represents major pharmaceutical and medical device companies in criminal and civil government investigations involving allegations of healthcare fraud, including off-label promotion, anti-kickback statute violations, False Claims Act violations and other issues related to sales, marketing and pricing practices. She also conducts internal investigations and litigates cases brought under the federal False Claims Act and state laws, including state false claims acts and deceptive trade practices statutes.
In addition, Paula has developed fraud and abuse training for clients and advises companies on their compliance programs. She has written on individual liability and exclusion arising from healthcare fraud prosecutions and First Amendment issues relating to the promotion of pharmaceutical and medical device products.
Paula has also worked in complex commercial litigation, and, as a member of the firm's Employment and Labor group, has counseled clients in a variety of employment-related matters.
- United States ex rel. Lampkin v. Alcon Laboratories, Inc., et al., 08 Civ. 05362 (JAP). Successfully defended Alcon Laboratories and Alcon Inc. in qui tam suit brought in District of New Jersey by relator, alleging off label and kickback claims in connection with the ocular medication Vigamox®. On a motion to dismiss, obtained dismissal with prejudice of all claims.
- Representing a major brand name prescription drug manufacturer in qui tam litigation brought in Southern District of New York by government and relator, alleging kickbacks to specialty pharmacies in connection with various medications.
- Representing a major brand name prescription drug manufacturer in qui tam litigation brought in Southern District of New York by government and relator, alleging kickbacks to physicians through speaker programs in connection with various cardiovascular medications.
- Representing a pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturer in a multi-district federal investigation involving allegations of off-label promotion and kickbacks.
- SDNY Enjoins Government from Prosecuting Truthful Non-Misleading Off-Label Promotion August 10, 2015
- PLI Publishes its Latest Update of Kaye Scholer's Deskbook on Internal Investigations, Corporate Compliance & White Collar Issues June 30, 2014
- The Aftermath of Caronia in Pursuing Off-Label Cases March 10, 2014