William A. Tanenbaum is Head of Kaye Scholer’s multidisciplinary, multi-office IP & Technology Transactions Group, which is ranked in the First Tier at the National Level and in New York by US News & World Report/Best Lawyers. Bill is also the Head of the firm’s GreenTech & Sustainability Group. Bill was named the “Lawyer of the Year” in Information Technology Law in New York by Best Lawyers in 2013.全部显示
Bill’s practice focuses on the development and deployment of information technology and technology services for Fortune 500 and other domestic and international companies. His practice focuses on litigation and transactions involving IP, IT, outsourcing and procurement, and data security, data sharing and contextual privacy. His practice also includes strategic IP counseling, IT and IP aspects of corporate transactions, Health Care IT and Government IT. He assists clients in using Big Data, machine learning and analytics, social media and cloud and mobile computing, and in integrating them into existing IT systems and business processes for competitive advantage, risk mitigation and regulatory compliance.
Bill is ranked in Band One in Technology & Outsourcing in New York and in Band Two nationally by Chambers, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, which found that he “built one of New York City’s most outstanding transactional IT practices.” He is also recognized as one of the Top 30 Information Technology Lawyers in the US, an “IP Star,” a “Life Science Star” for his work in Healthcare IT, as one of the “CleanTech 100,” and as a leading lawyer in Internet & E-Commerce and recommended in Licensing (by Expert Guide’s Best of the Best, Managing IP Handbook 2014, Euromoney’s LMG Life Science Guide 2012-2014, LMG Clean Technology and Renewable Energy Guide, IAM’s The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners and Who’s Who Legal, respectively). IP Law Experts Guide named Bill as the “Recommended IT Lawyer in New York.” (Only one attorney is designated in each state.) Bill is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (2002-2015) for Information Technology Law. The common element in his practice is that clients in a range of industries retain him for his IP, IT and business technology experience.
Bill is a past President of the International Technology Law Association. He is currently a Vice President of the Society for Information Management (Metro New York Chapter), an industry association of CIOs and senior IT executives.
Surveys of clients, in-house counsel and peer attorneys by leading legal research publications find that he:
- “is one of the best IP attorneys I have worked with” (Euromoney’s LMG Clean Technology and Renewable Energy Guide)
- “has the depth of experience to convert client challenges into client opportunities” (Chambers)
- is “at a stage in his career where no issue is unfamiliar, too complex or intimidating to take on” (Chambers)
- “attracts high praise for his ability to size up a situation and come up with efficient steps to build a desired deal” (Chambers)
- “brings extremely high integrity, a deep intellect, fearlessness and a practical, real-world mindset to every problem” (Chambers)
- is “smart, practical, tactical and highly strategic” and “an effective negotiator” (Chambers)
- is “intellectual yet pragmatic” and “among the market’s foremost IT licensing experts and a leading authority on related issues such as data security, privacy and social media” (World’s 250 Leading Patent and Technology Lawyers)
- “draws on a truly impressive array of technology law expertise, creativity, high integrity and common sense, and he gets parties to closure” (Legal500)
- “is an acknowledged expert on the convergence of mainstream businesses with cleantech” (Chambers)
Because of the strength of Bill’s practice, Kaye Scholer was named as the Peer Choice Winner of the 2015 Corporate INTL Legal Award as “Technology & Outsourcing Law Firm of the Year in New York,” as the “Technology & Outsourcing Law Firm of the Year in New York for 2013” by Global Law Experts and as a “Recommended” Firm for IP in CleanTech in the Clean Technology and Renewable Guide. Bill’s experience and leadership in the fields of technology transactions and outsourcing were recognized when he was selected to serve as the neutral arbitrator in a $30 million outsourcing dispute and as a party and neutral arbitrator in other arbitrations.
Bill is the lead partner in patent litigations. He led a team that handled a significant business method patent case for a multinational financial institution. He also led a team that won a victory for a multinational medical device client in a patent case in the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Selected Notable Matters
- Established technology infrastructures for US companies in China for the Beijing Olympics
- Advised NASA and the New York County Lawyers’ Association on intellectual property matters
- Retained by the government of Finland for IT project
- Retained by Costco to establish its online store in China on the Alibaba platform
- Retained by Ryder for outsourcing transactions and outsourcing dispute resolution
- Retained by massively immersive video game company Nexon Co. Ltd. for dispute resolution
- Retained by State Attorneys General in Hawaii and Washington for state-wide IT projects and by the New York City Housing Authority for outsourcing
- Retained by aerospace and defense companies for IP, IT and outsourcing
- Drafts open source and cloud computing corporate policies
- Retained by Guardian, Axa, and other insurance companies for outsourcing, IT and litigation advice
- Retained by Morgan Stanley, MCSI, Nordea Bank and other financial services firms for IT, business process and knowledge process outsourcing with Tier 1 vendors
- Updated Internet Commerce websites for American Express and other financial services firms
- Retained by Wyndham Worldwide, The Beverly Hills Hotel and other companies in the hospitality industry for IT, outsourcing and IT-enabled sustainability matters
- Handles of database breaches and IT remediation of the same
Conference Chairmanships and Annual Speaking Engagements
- Founder and Co-Chair, PLI Annual Outsourcing Conference
- Founder and Chair, PLI Annual Health Care IT Conference
- Co-Chair, LSI Annual Technology Law Conference
- Co-Chair, LSI Big Data Conference
- Speaker at Sourcing Interests Group Global Summit Conferences (an industry outsourcing association)
- Speaker on licensing at PLI Annual IP Law Institute on IP Licensing
- Frequent speaker at other legal and industry conferences