Significant Decision for Client CIBC Oppenheimer Corp. Featured in New York Law Journal, Securities Law360
In a significant decision for client CIBC Oppenheimer Corp., the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York granted the underwriter defendants' motion for sanctions against the plaintiffs in In re WRT Energy Securities Litigation. This important decision was featured in the New York Law Journal on October 5 in the article entitled "'Lack of Frankness' Faulted Over Loss of Discovery Materials" and in Securities Law360 on October 1 in the article entitled "Judge Hits WRT Shareholders With Sanctions." In his decision, Magistrate Judge James C. Francis IV ruled that plaintiffs will be precluded from certain arguments at trial and that the Court will instruct the jury that the underwriter defendants are unable to present certain evidence because it "was lost as a result of actions or omissions by the plaintiffs." Further, the plaintiffs were ordered to pay for the underwriters' costs, including attorneys' fees, associated with the motion and for future expenses associated with expert analysis of newly identified evidence.
James Herschlein, partner in the Litigation Department, led the two-day evidentiary hearing on the motion.
Also of Interest
- Best Lawyers 2017 Recognizes 41 Kaye Scholer Lawyers August 15, 2016 • Recognitions
- Three Partners Named to Benchmark Litigation’s Inaugural “Under 40 Hot List” August 11, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Achieves Complete Victory for Spirit AeroSystems in Securities Class Action July 6, 2016 • Client Successes
- Three Kaye Scholer Partners Named Among Benchmark Litigation’s Top 250 Women... June 29, 2016 • Recognitions
- Ten Kaye Scholer Practices Recognized, 29 Individuals Cited in Legal 500 US 2016 June 15, 2016 • Recognitions
- SCOTUS Rules That Lawsuit Alleging Naked Short Selling Can Proceed in State Court May 18, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Haveles Speaks to Law360 on the High Court's Merrill Lynch v. Manning Ruling May 17, 2016 • Media Mentions
- New York Adopts Business Judgment Rule in Reviewing Certain Going-Private Transactions May 9, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Reviving Time-Barred Financial Litigation In State Courts February 29, 2016 • Articles