New York — On March 12, 2010, Ames Taping Tools, a leading provider of automatic taping and finishing tools headquartered in Atlanta, GA, was successfully restructured through a sale of the business to existing investors led by Aurora Capital Group, GSC Group and Saybrook Capital. The transaction was completed under section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code less than three months after the company filed Chapter 11 in Delaware. The sale was structured such that the investor group and the first-lien lenders formed a new company and made a de facto credit bid (i.e., non-cash consideration consisting of new debt and a portion of the new equity), with the investors acquiring the majority of the new equity through an infusion of new money to finance the new enterprise. The terms of the restructuring were agreed to in a prepetition lockup agreement signed by the company, a majority of its first- and second-lien lenders, and the investor group. Kaye Scholer represented the largest lender, Van Kampen Investments, which lead the negotiations for the first-lien lenders. In connection with the sale, the first-lien lenders exchanged their debt for the new notes issued by the purchaser and, for those lenders that elected to receive "payment in kind" notes in lieu of partial cash pay notes, roughly 25% of the new equity. Van Kampen is also the largest lender under a new revolving working capital facility. The Kaye Scholer team was lead by Tyler Nurnberg and Matthew Micheli (Business Reorganization & Creditors Rights, Chicago) and Alan Glantz (Finance, New York), and received substantial contributions from, among others, Stephen Koval and Konstantinos Yiannopoulos (Corporate, New York); Rachel Kless (Real Estate, New York); and Laurie Abramowitz (Tax, New York).
About Kaye Scholer LLP
Founded in New York in 1917, Kaye Scholer combines the continuity and business acumen of a century-old law firm with a forward-looking, tech savvy, results-driven approach focused around lasting client relationships. With industry strengths in life sciences, financial services, technology, real estate and energy & infrastructure, Kaye Scholer offers strategic guidance and legal services to public and private entities facing litigation, transactional or governance challenges. Kaye Scholer’s lawyers regularly advise on matters across multiple legal jurisdictions, including in the US, Canada, UK, EU, China and Japan.
# # #
PR & Communications Manager Kaye Scholer
Also of Interest
- SEC Issues Pay Ratio CDIs October 20, 2016 • Client Alerts
- What’s Really Remarkable about the Appeals Court Ruling on the CFPB October 20, 2016 • Articles
- IFLR1000 Recognizes Kaye Scholer’s Global Presence, Practices and Lawyers October 19, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Asghar Quoted in Airfinance Journal on Iran Aseman Airlines October 10, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Represents Investors in Volkswagen Diesel Emissions Litigation September 28, 2016 • Client Successes
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Axford and Williams Discuss UK Influence on EU Banking Rules in Law360 September 21, 2016 • Media Mentions