In its continued work for clients that are breaking new ground in the genetics field, Kaye Scholer's patent litigators recently obtained a key victory for leading biotech/genome company Complete Genomics, when a court invalidated the asserted sequencing method claims of plaintiff Illumina’s patent and found that Complete Genomics did not infringe the remaining asserted “kit” claims.
Illumina had accused Complete Genomics of infringing a patent (known as the ‘597 patent) for DNA sequencing. On March 26-27, a California District Court denied Illumina’s motion for reconsideration of the Court’s previous order invalidating all asserted method claims of the ‘597 patent on summary judgment; re-issued, with minor edits, the previous order of summary judgment of invalidity on two independent grounds; and granted summary judgment of non-infringement of the other asserted “kit” claims.
Together, these three orders constituted a total victory for Complete Genomics on the asserted patent. (Previously, Illumina had dismissed two other asserted patents in the action.)
The Kaye Scholer litigation team was led by Partner Michael Malecek, and included Partner Peter Root, Associates Marisa Armanino Williams, Sean Boyle, and Henry Schober.
Also of Interest
- Shape of Things to Come: Protecting Product Configuration and Packaging Design September 26, 2016 • Articles
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- Arbisser Featured in The Recorder and Law360... September 7, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- ILS and Zinsser Analytic Shareholders Sell to Gardner Denver Medical September 2, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Advises Veracen on Merger of Equals with Turner Investments August 31, 2016 • Client Successes
- UNITED STATES: Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 Strengthens... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- UNITED STATES: Phantom Mark Depicting Arrangement of Numerical Financial Data... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- Daily Journal Names Malecek Among the “Top 75 Intellectual Property Litigators” August 17, 2016 • Recognitions