NEW YORK: Kaye Scholer won summary judgment on behalf of longtime client The Hershey Co. before the US Patent and Trademark Office’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), in an opposition proceeding relating to the trademark MILKSHAKE as applied to candy bars.
Hershey opposed an application seeking to register MILKSHAKE that had been filed by an applicant who claimed that he sought to “resurrect” the MILKSHAKE candy bar that had been sold by a Hershey predecessor, Hollywood Candy, until the 1990s. The applicant argued that Hershey gave up its right to the MILKSHAKE mark when Hollywood’s MILKSHAKE bar was discontinued and when Hershey’s prior trademark registration for MILKSHAKE was abandoned. Hershey countered with evidence that the company has used the mark on certain of its Kit-Kat and Whopper products since 2005, and that the applicant’s proposed MILKSHAKE mark was likely to be confused with Hershey’s common law MILKSHAKE mark. The TTAB ruled that Hershey’s common law rights to MILKSHAKE were valid and that the applicant could not register the MILKSHAKE mark.
Kaye Scholer has advised Hershey on trademark registration and enforcement matters involving many of the company’s most valuable brands, including the HERSHEY’S®, REESE’S® and KISSES® marks and related trade dresses, as well as the trademark registration for the design configuration of its iconic Hershey’s chocolate bar.
Partner Paul Llewellyn, Co-Head of the firm’s Trademark, Copyright & False Advertising Practice, led the Kaye Scholer team representing Hershey in this case. Other members of the team included Counsel John Rynkiewicz, Associate Kyle Gooch and former associate Jennifer Co.
About Kaye Scholer LLP
Founded in New York in 1917, Kaye Scholer combines the continuity and business acumen of a century-old law firm with a forward-looking, tech savvy, results-driven approach focused around lasting client relationships. With industry strengths in life sciences, financial services, technology, real estate and energy & infrastructure, Kaye Scholer offers strategic guidance and legal services to public and private entities facing litigation, transactional or governance challenges. Kaye Scholer’s lawyers regularly advise on matters across multiple legal jurisdictions, including in the US, Canada, UK, EU, China and Japan.
# # #
PR & Communications Manager Kaye Scholer
Also of Interest
- Maier Plans Emergency Response with Fort Meade and Fort Detrick Commanders October 20, 2016 • Client Successes
- Winning the War: Strategies for Prevailing in Consumer Fraud and False Advertising... October 17, 2016 • Articles
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles
- Shape of Things to Come: Protecting Product Configuration and Packaging Design September 26, 2016 • Articles
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- UNITED STATES: Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 Strengthens... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- UNITED STATES: Phantom Mark Depicting Arrangement of Numerical Financial Data... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- Daily Journal Names Malecek Among the “Top 75 Intellectual Property Litigators” August 17, 2016 • Recognitions