Kaye Scholer recently advised longtime client Novartis Pharmaceuticals on the intellectual property-related aspects of a series of strategic deals totaling $30 billion, including the landmark acquisition of GlaxoSmithKline’s oncology unit for up to $16 billion. In exchange, GSK will acquire Novartis’ vaccine business, excluding its flu products, for up to $7.1 billion, plus royalties. The two companies will also form a joint venture in consumer healthcare products, combining Novartis’ over-the-counter pharmaceuticals business with GSK’s consumer operations.
In addition to the GSK deals, Novartis announced the sale of its animal health unit to Eli Lilly & Co. for $5.2 billion. All of these transactions are designed to strategically overhaul Novartis’ operations in order to focus on its most valuable businesses moving forward.
The Kaye Scholer team advising Novartis was led by Partner David Barr and included Partner Andres Liivak, Counsel Tatiana Alyonycheva and Associates Abby Langsam, Katie O’Brien, Jeff Martin and Phil Smithback.
Also of Interest
- Shape of Things to Come: Protecting Product Configuration and Packaging Design September 26, 2016 • Articles
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Axford and Williams Discuss UK Influence on EU Banking Rules in Law360 September 21, 2016 • Media Mentions
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- O’Keefe Featured in the Daily Journal on the 2016 Proxy Season September 15, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Druckenbrodt Quoted in Bloomberg on Volkswagen Dieselgate September 14, 2016 • Media Mentions
- SEC Proposes Exhibit Hyperlink Requirements September 8, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Arbisser Featured in The Recorder and Law360... September 7, 2016 • Media Mentions