Kaye Scholer recently advised longtime client Novartis Pharmaceuticals on the intellectual property-related aspects of a series of strategic deals totaling $30 billion, including the landmark acquisition of GlaxoSmithKline’s oncology unit for up to $16 billion. In exchange, GSK will acquire Novartis’ vaccine business, excluding its flu products, for up to $7.1 billion, plus royalties. The two companies will also form a joint venture in consumer healthcare products, combining Novartis’ over-the-counter pharmaceuticals business with GSK’s consumer operations.
In addition to the GSK deals, Novartis announced the sale of its animal health unit to Eli Lilly & Co. for $5.2 billion. All of these transactions are designed to strategically overhaul Novartis’ operations in order to focus on its most valuable businesses moving forward.
The Kaye Scholer team advising Novartis was led by Partner David Barr and included Partner Andres Liivak, Counsel Tatiana Alyonycheva and Associates Abby Langsam, Katie O’Brien, Jeff Martin and Phil Smithback.
Also of Interest
- Law360 Names Blank a 2016 Intellectual Property MVP December 7, 2016 • Recognitions
- SEC Adopts New Rules: Fund Liquidity, Reporting and Disclosure, and “Swing Pricing” December 6, 2016 • Client Alerts
- NLJ Names Yates a 2016 Litigation Trailblazer December 6, 2016 • Recognitions
- Tax Alert: Final Debt Regulations Have Limited Scope of Application November 30, 2016 • Client Alerts
- And Now A Word From The Panel: MDL Venue Choices November 30, 2016 • Articles
- Golodner Quoted in IFLR on Proposed NYS Digital Security Laws November 29, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Best Lawyers Profiles Frankle as “Lawyer of the Year” November 28, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Fallon Appointed to the University at Albany Presidential Search Committee November 22, 2016 • Recognitions
- Fintech Term Sheet Negotiations: Key Issues Beyond Price November 21, 2016 • Articles