Kaye Scholer recently advised longtime client Novartis Pharmaceuticals on the intellectual property-related aspects of a series of strategic deals totaling $30 billion, including the landmark acquisition of GlaxoSmithKline’s oncology unit for up to $16 billion. In exchange, GSK will acquire Novartis’ vaccine business, excluding its flu products, for up to $7.1 billion, plus royalties. The two companies will also form a joint venture in consumer healthcare products, combining Novartis’ over-the-counter pharmaceuticals business with GSK’s consumer operations.
In addition to the GSK deals, Novartis announced the sale of its animal health unit to Eli Lilly & Co. for $5.2 billion. All of these transactions are designed to strategically overhaul Novartis’ operations in order to focus on its most valuable businesses moving forward.
The Kaye Scholer team advising Novartis was led by Partner David Barr and included Partner Andres Liivak, Counsel Tatiana Alyonycheva and Associates Abby Langsam, Katie O’Brien, Jeff Martin and Phil Smithback.
Also of Interest
- SEC Issues Pay Ratio CDIs October 20, 2016 • Client Alerts
- What’s Really Remarkable about the Appeals Court Ruling on the CFPB October 20, 2016 • Articles
- IFLR1000 Recognizes Kaye Scholer’s Global Presence, Practices and Lawyers October 19, 2016 • Recognitions
- Winning the War: Strategies for Prevailing in Consumer Fraud and False Advertising... October 17, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- 3D Printing: New Legal Issues Emerge with the Technology’s Revolutionary Potential October 10, 2016 • Articles
- Asghar Quoted in Airfinance Journal on Iran Aseman Airlines October 10, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles
- Antitrust Jurisprudence in the Second Circuit October 1, 2016 • Articles