Kaye Scholer’s Silicon Valley office negotiated a bet-the-company deal for Brooklyn-based Fashion Tech startup Nineteenth Amendment with Macy’s, one of the nation’s premier omnichannel retailers. Under terms of the deal, which New York Business Journal labeled “to die for,” Nineteenth Amendment will get to feature its made-in-the USA clothes on Macys.com while all transactions will take place on Nineteenth Amendment’s proprietary platform, which will be linked to the Macy’s site.
“Nineteenth Amendment has ambitious plans for both fashion and technology that are attractive to the industry and have the potential to better connect the digital and bricks-and mortar sales worlds,” says Kaye Scholer Counsel Helen Christakos, who led the deal. “We are excited to be able to assist this cutting-edge company in its growth and ongoing development by helping to promote and protect its transactional, IP and technical resources.”
Nineteenth Amendment curates a collection of independent designers from around the world, and then does on-demand manufacturing in the United States. With Nineteenth Amendment, customers can view the work of small designers and pre-purchase clothes they love at pre-sale prices. But each piece must receive a minimum of 10 orders over a 45-day period before it goes into production. The deal with Macy’s will heighten both the profile and reach of Nineteenth Amendment and the emerging designers it represents.
Kaye Scholer’s work with Nineteenth Amendment is the most recent in a string of successful representations of enterprising startups in business-altering deals with major corporations by our emerging company practice group in Silicon Valley.
In addition to Helen, Corporate partner Rob Claassen worked on the Nineteenth Amendment deal, and the original introduction was made by New York-based Intellectual Property partner James Blank.
Also of Interest
- SEC Issues Pay Ratio CDIs October 20, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Maier Plans Emergency Response with Fort Meade and Fort Detrick Commanders October 20, 2016 • Client Successes
- IFLR1000 Recognizes Kaye Scholer’s Global Presence, Practices and Lawyers October 19, 2016 • Recognitions
- Winning the War: Strategies for Prevailing in Consumer Fraud and False Advertising... October 17, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles
- Shape of Things to Come: Protecting Product Configuration and Packaging Design September 26, 2016 • Articles
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles