Kaye Scholer’s Silicon Valley office negotiated a bet-the-company deal for Brooklyn-based Fashion Tech startup Nineteenth Amendment with Macy’s, one of the nation’s premier omnichannel retailers. Under terms of the deal, which New York Business Journal labeled “to die for,” Nineteenth Amendment will get to feature its made-in-the USA clothes on Macys.com while all transactions will take place on Nineteenth Amendment’s proprietary platform, which will be linked to the Macy’s site.
“Nineteenth Amendment has ambitious plans for both fashion and technology that are attractive to the industry and have the potential to better connect the digital and bricks-and mortar sales worlds,” says Kaye Scholer Counsel Helen Christakos, who led the deal. “We are excited to be able to assist this cutting-edge company in its growth and ongoing development by helping to promote and protect its transactional, IP and technical resources.”
Nineteenth Amendment curates a collection of independent designers from around the world, and then does on-demand manufacturing in the United States. With Nineteenth Amendment, customers can view the work of small designers and pre-purchase clothes they love at pre-sale prices. But each piece must receive a minimum of 10 orders over a 45-day period before it goes into production. The deal with Macy’s will heighten both the profile and reach of Nineteenth Amendment and the emerging designers it represents.
Kaye Scholer’s work with Nineteenth Amendment is the most recent in a string of successful representations of enterprising startups in business-altering deals with major corporations by our emerging company practice group in Silicon Valley.
In addition to Helen, Corporate partner Rob Claassen worked on the Nineteenth Amendment deal, and the original introduction was made by New York-based Intellectual Property partner James Blank.
Also of Interest
- Shape of Things to Come: Protecting Product Configuration and Packaging Design September 26, 2016 • Articles
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- O’Keefe Featured in the Daily Journal on the 2016 Proxy Season September 15, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- SEC Proposes Exhibit Hyperlink Requirements September 8, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- ILS and Zinsser Analytic Shareholders Sell to Gardner Denver Medical September 2, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Secures Dismissal of Merger-Related Class Action Against Baltic Trading September 1, 2016 • Client Successes