Kaye Scholer Secures Jury Verdict of Non-Infringement for Google in Content Protection Patent Dispute
A September 23 jury verdict in the Eastern District of Texas in ContentGuard Holdings Inc. v. Google Inc. secured a judgment of non-infringement for Google and Samsung on five patents relating to digital rights management technology that protects content on smartphones and tablets. A Kaye Scholer team based out of the firm’s Silicon Valley and Chicago offices defended Google in this patent dispute. After two weeks of trial, the jury returned a verdict of non-infringement on all patents in suit after just over two hours of deliberation.
ContentGuard, a subsidiary of a patent holding firm Pendrell, was seeking damages of more than $500 million from Google, Samsung and other Android manufacturers. Specifically, the Google Play Movies and Video application and Google Play Books application were accused of infringing the patents. The patents originated out of Xerox PARC in the mid-1990s.
By prior agreement of the parties, the non-infringement verdict also applies to other Android phone manufacturers sued in related actions, including Motorola, Huawei and HTC.
Leading the Kaye Scholer team were partner and co-chair of the firm’s IP Department, Mike Malecek, and Rob Unikel, a partner based in the firm’s Chicago office. The team also included partner Peter Root; counsel Rob Laurenzi, Deanna Keysor and Dina Hayes; and associates Marisa Armanino-Williams, Timothy Chao, Michelle Marek-Figueiredo, Shyam Palaiyanur and Rob Estrin.
In addition to the Kaye Scholer team, local counsel Mark Mann of MT2 Law Group (Mann | Tindel | Thompson) assisted at trial.
Also of Interest
- Second Circuit Expands Split on Nominative Fair Use November 16, 2016 • Articles
- JUVE Handbuch Recommends Frankfurt Office and Lawyers November 14, 2016 • Recognitions
- US News–Best Lawyers Recognizes 32 Kaye Scholer Practices and 41 Lawyers November 1, 2016 • Recognitions
- Maier Plans Emergency Response with Fort Meade and Fort Detrick Commanders October 20, 2016 • Client Successes
- Winning the War: Strategies for Prevailing in Consumer Fraud and False Advertising... October 17, 2016 • Articles
- 3D Printing: New Legal Issues Emerge with the Technology’s Revolutionary Potential October 10, 2016 • Articles
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles
- Shape of Things to Come: Protecting Product Configuration and Packaging Design September 26, 2016 • Articles
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles