Kaye Scholer Secures Jury Verdict of Non-Infringement for Google in Content Protection Patent Dispute
A September 23 jury verdict in the Eastern District of Texas in ContentGuard Holdings Inc. v. Google Inc. secured a judgment of non-infringement for Google and Samsung on five patents relating to digital rights management technology that protects content on smartphones and tablets. A Kaye Scholer team based out of the firm’s Silicon Valley and Chicago offices defended Google in this patent dispute. After two weeks of trial, the jury returned a verdict of non-infringement on all patents in suit after just over two hours of deliberation.
ContentGuard, a subsidiary of a patent holding firm Pendrell, was seeking damages of more than $500 million from Google, Samsung and other Android manufacturers. Specifically, the Google Play Movies and Video application and Google Play Books application were accused of infringing the patents. The patents originated out of Xerox PARC in the mid-1990s.
By prior agreement of the parties, the non-infringement verdict also applies to other Android phone manufacturers sued in related actions, including Motorola, Huawei and HTC.
Leading the Kaye Scholer team were partner and co-chair of the firm’s IP Department, Mike Malecek, and Rob Unikel, a partner based in the firm’s Chicago office. The team also included partner Peter Root; counsel Rob Laurenzi, Deanna Keysor and Dina Hayes; and associates Marisa Armanino-Williams, Timothy Chao, Michelle Marek-Figueiredo, Shyam Palaiyanur and Rob Estrin.
In addition to the Kaye Scholer team, local counsel Mark Mann of MT2 Law Group (Mann | Tindel | Thompson) assisted at trial.
Also of Interest
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- UNITED STATES: Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 Strengthens... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- UNITED STATES: Phantom Mark Depicting Arrangement of Numerical Financial Data... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- Daily Journal Names Malecek Among the “Top 75 Intellectual Property Litigators” August 17, 2016 • Recognitions
- Best Lawyers 2017 Recognizes 41 Kaye Scholer Lawyers August 15, 2016 • Recognitions
- 3D Printing: New Life Sciences Technology and Old Product Liability Claims August 1, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Secures Complete Motion to Dismiss for Redwood Capital July 22, 2016 • Client Successes
- NISPOM’s New Insider Threat Program Is an Opportunity to Establish Competitive Edge July 13, 2016 • Client Alerts