New York – Kaye Scholer LLP announced today that William Sloan Coats has joined the firm as Managing Partner of Kaye Scholer’s new Silicon Valley office, the firm’s ninth office and second in California.
Coats, previously a Partner at White & Case LLP, is a trial lawyer whose practice focuses on complex intellectual property matters involving patents, copyrights, trademarks and trade secret disputes for the software, hardware, computer, electronics, entertainment and movie industries.
“Bill's presence adds to our deep bench of intellectual property trial lawyers,” said Alan M. Fisch, Co-Chair of Kaye Scholer’s Intellectual Property practice. “I have known Bill for 15 years. He is a wonderful person and an outstanding lawyer. We are delighted that he is joining our firm.”
Barry L. Dastin, Managing Partner of Kaye Scholer's Los Angeles office, said “Kaye Scholer has had a successful growing practice base in Southern California for more than 20 years and the Los Angeles office is currently the firm's second largest office. Many of our clients and matters are located in Northern California. We understand and share the Valley's entrepreneurial outlook and industry focus and look forward to developing an expanded and integrated California presence.”
“I am very excited about joining Kaye Scholer, it is such a great platform for my intellectual property litigation practice,” said Coats. “I was attracted by the firm's commitment to opening in this market. I am also impressed by Kaye Scholer’s understanding of the needs of Silicon Valley clients and its resources to support them.”
“We are pleased to be opening the office with an exceptional talent like Bill Coats,” said Barry Willner, Kaye Scholer’s Co-Managing Partner. “Establishing a Silicon Valley presence focused initially on intellectual property, followed by transactional strength, has been a key goal of our firm's strategic plan. This is an opportune time to enhance our firm's overall practice and we look forward to further growth of our firm's capabilities in the Silicon Valley.”
Kaye Scholer’s Silicon Valley office will operate in an interim location until a permanent location is selected.
About Kaye Scholer LLP
Founded in New York in 1917, Kaye Scholer combines the continuity and business acumen of a century-old law firm with a forward-looking, tech savvy, results-driven approach focused around lasting client relationships. With industry strengths in life sciences, financial services, technology, real estate and energy & infrastructure, Kaye Scholer offers strategic guidance and legal services to public and private entities facing litigation, transactional or governance challenges. Kaye Scholer’s lawyers regularly advise on matters across multiple legal jurisdictions, including in the US, Canada, UK, EU, China and Japan.
# # #
PR & Communications Manager Kaye Scholer
Also of Interest
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- Arbisser Featured in The Recorder and Law360... September 7, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- ILS and Zinsser Analytic Shareholders Sell to Gardner Denver Medical September 2, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Advises Veracen on Merger of Equals with Turner Investments August 31, 2016 • Client Successes
- UNITED STATES: Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 Strengthens... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- UNITED STATES: Phantom Mark Depicting Arrangement of Numerical Financial Data... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- Daily Journal Names Malecek Among the “Top 75 Intellectual Property Litigators” August 17, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Represents Lonza in Acquisition of InterHealth Nutraceuticals August 16, 2016 • Client Successes