Chicago: Corporate lawyer Michael Penney has joined Kaye Scholer as counsel in the firm’s Chicago office.
Penney arrives from NYSE-listed venture finance company Hercules Technology Growth Capital, Inc. (HTGC) in Palo Alto, where he served as General Counsel, Secretary and Chief Compliance Officer. In this role, he was responsible for corporate governance, securities law and Investment Company Act compliance, overseeing portfolio transactions, capital markets transactions and general legal matters.
“We are pleased to welcome a lawyer of Michael’s caliber to Kaye Scholer in Chicago,” said Tyler Nurnberg, Office Managing Partner of the firm’s Chicago office. “His impressive experience in a wide variety of transactional matters will only further strengthen the capabilities of our Corporate Department, which has welcomed three new partners this past year and continues to seek out new opportunities for strategic growth.”
Prior to joining HTGC, Penney served as Vice President and Senior Counsel of State Street Corporation in Boston, where he negotiated and led domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic investment transactions involving asset management, electronic trading, financial technology, asset servicing and custody banking businesses. Penney also advised senior management on the establishment of State Street’s Global Exchange business unit, which provides risk analytics, portfolio performance, electronic trading, data management and information products and solutions.
He was previously a corporate associate in the Boston offices of Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP and Edwards Angell Palmer and Dodge LLP.
Admitted to practice in Massachusetts, Penney received his JD cum laude from Boston College Law School, where he served as editor-in-chief of the Environmental Affairs Law Review. He also holds a BA in Political Science and Economics from the University of Nebraska.
Kaye Scholer’s Corporate Department provides sophisticated, senior-level guidance and applies deep market knowledge and broad experience to help clients solve complex commercial and legal problems and navigate their transactions to a successful conclusion. Consistently ranked by US News & World Report as one of the country’s premier corporate practices, we regularly advise a diverse group of US and international private equity firms, investment funds, pension funds and portfolio companies on their M&A and financing transactions.
About Kaye Scholer LLP
Founded in New York in 1917, Kaye Scholer combines the continuity and business acumen of a century-old law firm with a forward-looking, tech savvy, results-driven approach focused around lasting client relationships. With industry strengths in life sciences, financial services, technology, real estate and energy & infrastructure, Kaye Scholer offers strategic guidance and legal services to public and private entities facing litigation, transactional or governance challenges. Kaye Scholer’s lawyers regularly advise on matters across multiple legal jurisdictions, including in the US, Canada, UK, EU, China and Japan.
# # #
PR & Communications Manager Kaye Scholer
Also of Interest
- Tax Alert: Final Debt Regulations Have Limited Scope of Application November 30, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Best Lawyers Profiles Frankle as “Lawyer of the Year” November 28, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Fallon Appointed to the University at Albany Presidential Search Committee November 22, 2016 • Recognitions
- Fintech Term Sheet Negotiations: Key Issues Beyond Price November 21, 2016 • Articles
- JUVE Handbuch Recommends Frankfurt Office and Lawyers November 14, 2016 • Recognitions
- Using Technology Service Providers Is No Silver Bullet November 7, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Advises Bregal, Motion Equity in Morrison Utility Services Sale November 7, 2016 • Client Successes
- Pitfalls of Present-Day Contracts: Hyperlinked Contract Terms November 7, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Advises Biohaven on Oversubscribed Private Financing November 4, 2016 • Client Successes