Bankruptcy Partner Madlyn Primoff Discusses Lender and Debtor Cooperation During Reorganization in The Deal
As appeared in The Deal, Bankruptcy Insider article “Taking the Wheel”
The Deal recently took at look at the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of oil rig operator O&G Leasing LLC, including its battle with secured lender First Security Bank for confirmation of its reorganization plan. As the article explained, First Security, indenture trustee for the debenture holders, not only proposed a rival liquidation plan for O&G but took the “seemingly rare move” of leading an auction of five of O&G's oil rigs in bankruptcy court.
According to Kaye Scholer Bankruptcy & Restructuring Partner Madlyn Primoff, in contrast to the relationship between O&G and First Security, “Sometimes a debtor agrees to let the lender lead and takes a ‘what does it matter anyway’ approach.”
“When the debtor is just ‘shrugging its shoulders’ in such instances, the lender really controls the process anyway, because of its ability to credit-bid its secured debt, as ICM's lenders did. In addition, some debtors are just not competent and capable of running the sale,” Primoff added. "If a price is not achieved that the lender likes, it is going to credit-bid anyway — so debtors may as well let them lead. This wouldn't be my first choice though; it would be my last choice, because assets are generally maximized when debtors and lenders work cooperatively and everyone's interests are aligned.”
Primoff concluded that the lender should want the debtor to be involved because buyers are generally going to want to confer with the debtor and management as part of their diligence process.
Also of Interest
- And Now A Word From The Panel: 3 Alternatives To MDLs September 28, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Represents Investors in Volkswagen Diesel Emissions Litigation September 28, 2016 • Client Successes
- NLJ Names Shores as Antitrust Trailblazer September 27, 2016 • Recognitions
- Shape of Things to Come: Protecting Product Configuration and Packaging Design September 26, 2016 • Articles
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- Druckenbrodt Quoted in Bloomberg on Volkswagen Dieselgate September 14, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Arbisser Featured in The Recorder and Law360... September 7, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Kaye Scholer Secures Dismissal of Merger-Related Class Action Against Baltic Trading September 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- New LSTA Par/Near Par Delayed Compensation Regime August 31, 2016 • Client Alerts