As seen in Reuters’ "US Top Court Overturns Appeals Court on Fees in Patent Cases"
Reuters reports that the US Supreme Court has overturned two appeals court rulings in patent cases concerning fee awards. These decisions will likely make it easier for the victorious party in a patent litigation to obtain legal fees from the losing party. As this would make bringing a weak patent litigation a potentially expensive prospect, the decisions could affect the number of such cases brought in the future, especially those brought by non-practicing entities, otherwise known as “patent trolls.”
According to Kaye Scholer Intellectual Property Partner Stephen Holmes, "These decisions will make patent trolls think twice about bringing cases." However, he added, "If patent holders have a good case, and they litigate properly, they should still bring it."
Also of Interest
- Maier Plans Emergency Response with Fort Meade and Fort Detrick Commanders October 20, 2016 • Client Successes
- Winning the War: Strategies for Prevailing in Consumer Fraud and False Advertising... October 17, 2016 • Articles
- 3D Printing: New Legal Issues Emerge with the Technology’s Revolutionary Potential October 10, 2016 • Articles
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles
- Shape of Things to Come: Protecting Product Configuration and Packaging Design September 26, 2016 • Articles
- On the Road to a Safe and Secure Internet of Things: What Companies Should Do September 19, 2016 • Articles
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- UNITED STATES: Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 Strengthens... August 23, 2016 • Articles
- UNITED STATES: Phantom Mark Depicting Arrangement of Numerical Financial Data... August 23, 2016 • Articles