In “Labeling Issues Bubble Up in 'Craft' Beer Lawsuit,” Glenn Pogust, Special Counsel and member of the firm’s Product Liability Group, spoke with Corporate Counsel about the recent consumer class action lawsuit filed against behemoth brewing company MillerCoors by a plaintiff fed up with how the company was marketing its Blue Moon beer as a "craft" brew. The suit raises issues about the authenticity of branding foods and beverages that are especially important in an era when some consumers are putting a premium on food and drink created in smaller and less corporate environments.
Pogust explained to Corporate Counsel that right now brewers lack legal guidance on how to fairly categorize beer with names such as “craft” or “microbrew" and that the labeling problem goes beyond just booze. He explained that plaintiffs are taking issue with labels like “natural” or “all natural” on foods, despite silence on the matter from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
“It creates a lot of confusion in these industries because manufacturers are being sued for using these terms and the FDA, which is responsible for regulating how foods are advertised, has not made that distinction,” said Pogust.
Also of Interest
- What’s Really Remarkable about the Appeals Court Ruling on the CFPB October 20, 2016 • Articles
- Winning the War: Strategies for Prevailing in Consumer Fraud and False Advertising... October 17, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- 3D Printing: New Legal Issues Emerge with the Technology’s Revolutionary Potential October 10, 2016 • Articles
- Consumer Products in the Age of Big Data October 4, 2016 • Articles
- Antitrust Jurisprudence in the Second Circuit October 1, 2016 • Articles
- And Now A Word From The Panel: 3 Alternatives To MDLs September 28, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Represents Investors in Volkswagen Diesel Emissions Litigation September 28, 2016 • Client Successes
- NLJ Names Shores as Antitrust Trailblazer September 27, 2016 • Recognitions