In “Women Still Sparse in M&A Circles,” Forbes delves into the findings of a 2014 M&A ABA study conducted by Jen Muller, managing director at investment bank Houlihan Lokey, and Eric Talley, a professor at the University of California at Berkeley School of Law, of more than 17,000 M&A lawyers in a bid to determine how to address the lack of women in the field.
According to Corporate partner Diane Frankle, who has been an M&A lawyer for more than 25 years, women are not “opting in” to transactional M&A because it is seen as “too intense.”
In 2014, Frankle participated in the "Women in M&A Practice" at the Berkeley Center for Law, Business and the Economy (BCLBE) conference, as part of the BCLBE Women in Business Law Speaker Series. Here, she discussed the results of the study, explaining that encouragement by managers, colleagues and the creation of development opportunities for women in deal making were among many creative ways of remedying the situation.
The survey found that 40% of attorneys in their first and second year held M&A practice positions, but the figure fell to only 15% for senior equity partners.
Frankle observed that women overall, “and this is a gross simplification,” are more collaborative, take a longer-term view, value relationships more and tend to be more emotionally intelligent. She believes this leads to "more effective, efficient, and in general, more satisfactory negotiation.”
Also of Interest
- Tax Alert: Final Debt Regulations Have Limited Scope of Application November 30, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Best Lawyers Profiles Frankle as “Lawyer of the Year” November 28, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Fallon Appointed to the University at Albany Presidential Search Committee November 22, 2016 • Recognitions
- Fintech Term Sheet Negotiations: Key Issues Beyond Price November 21, 2016 • Articles
- JUVE Handbuch Recommends Frankfurt Office and Lawyers November 14, 2016 • Recognitions
- Using Technology Service Providers Is No Silver Bullet November 7, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Advises Bregal, Motion Equity in Morrison Utility Services Sale November 7, 2016 • Client Successes
- Pitfalls of Present-Day Contracts: Hyperlinked Contract Terms November 7, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Advises Biohaven on Oversubscribed Private Financing November 4, 2016 • Client Successes