In “Magnum Hunter Looks to Follow Sabine with Rejecting Pipeline Deal,” Reuters Legal explores the repercussions of a ruling whereby energy producers can sever pipeline contracts—a major setback for oil and gas pipeline companies in the sector.
In a prior court ruling, Sabine was allowed to dismiss a pipeline contract, which was the first major trial over whether Chapter 11 bankruptcy could be used to get out of midstream agreements. The ruling increases the sector's exposure to the energy industry's hard times, as well as increasing the risk for master limited partnerships (MLPs) that manage oil and gas infrastructure. The ruling was an impediment to pipeline operators that have been arguing that contracts for transporting oil and gas are basically bankruptcy-proof. Now, on the heels of the Sabine ruling, Magnum Hunter has also waged a contract dispute.
Bankruptcy & Restructuring partner Stephen Rutenberg weighed in on the consequences of the decision, explaining, "This decision, particularly if followed by other courts, could lead to an increase in bankruptcy filings by upstream energy exploration companies as a means to shed or renegotiate their pipeline contracts."
Also of Interest
- Tax Alert: Final Debt Regulations Have Limited Scope of Application November 30, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Kaye Scholer Receives Legal Aid Society’s Pro Bono Publico Award November 4, 2016 • Recognitions
- US News–Best Lawyers Recognizes 32 Kaye Scholer Practices and 41 Lawyers November 1, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Succeeds on Behalf of Term Loan Lenders in Defeating Confirmation... October 31, 2016 • Client Successes
- IFLR1000 Recognizes Kaye Scholer’s Global Presence, Practices and Lawyers October 19, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- New LSTA Par/Near Par Delayed Compensation Regime August 31, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Following Five-Day Trial, Kaye Scholer Secures Win for Medicalgorithmics August 25, 2016 • Client Successes
- Primoff Named Best in Insolvency & Restructuring at Americas Women in Business Law Awards August 22, 2016 • Recognitions