National Development and Reform Commission to Release New Policy on Mainland Enterprises Investing in Taiwan
On December 15, 2008, the National Development and Reform Commission (the "NDRC") and the Office of Taiwan Affairs within the State Council ("OTA") released the Circular on Provisions Concerning Administration of Investment Projects of Mainland Enterprises Going to the Taiwan Region (the "Circular"). The Circular opens the possibility for mainland enterprises to invest in Taiwan. The Circular offers guidelines and provides that a mainland enterprise investing in Taiwan shall (i) be a duly registered enterprise legal person (not an individual); (ii) have the funds, industrial background, technology and management capacity required for the proposed project; and (iii) be beneficial to the peaceful development of the Sino-Taiwan Strait relationship and not harm Chinese national security and unity. However, due to its recent release, the effects of such Circular to actual investment in Taiwan remain to be tested. It is also unclear whether foreign-invested enterprises, which conceptually fall within the category of mainland enterprises and which the NDRC interprets that the Circular applies to, may also go directly to Taiwan for investment, without using their overseas affiliates.
Copyright ©2009 by Kaye Scholer LLP. All Rights Reserved. This publication is intended as a general guide only. It does not contain a general legal analysis or constitute an opinion of Kaye Scholer LLP or any member of the firm on the legal issues described. It is recommended that readers not rely on this general guide but that professional advice be sought in connection with individual matters. References herein to "Kaye Scholer LLP & Affiliates," "Kaye Scholer," "Kaye Scholer LLP," "the firm" and terms of similar import refer to Kaye Scholer LLP and its affiliates operating in various jurisdictions.
Also of Interest
- M&A and Corporate Governance Newsletter | Spring 2016 March 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- Q&A with Alice Young: Diversity Experiences and Achieving Success in the Legal Profession April 6, 2015 • Media Mentions
- Kaye Scholer’s Shanghai Corporate Team Recommended in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 2014年11月5日 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer’s Global Capabilities Recognized in IFLR1000 2015 October 27, 2014 • Recognitions
- M&A and Corporate Governance Newsletter Summer 2014 • Reports / Newsletters
- How Chinese Companies Can Successfully Invest in the United States June 30, 2014 • Articles
- M&A and Corporate Governance Newsletter Spring 2014 • Reports / Newsletters
- Kaye Scholer Recognized in Six Practice Areas Worldwide in Chambers Global 2014 March 13, 2014 • Recognitions
- Shanghai Corporate Department Recognized by Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 February 18, 2014 • Recognitions