On January 9, 2009, the State Administration of Taxation released Tentative Measures for the Administration of Source Withholding of Income Tax of Non-Resident Enterprises (the "Measures"), effective retroactively on January 1, 2009. The Measures confirm the definition of non-resident enterprises, and further stipulate that stock interest, dividends, bonuses and other right-related investment revenue, rent, income from royalties, income from property transfer and other income on which enterprise income tax is levied, shall be subject to source withholding. The Measures also stipulate detailed collection procedures and documentation requirements for source withholding of non-resident enterprises. In addition, the Measures provide that if a transfer of equity in a domestic enterprise occurs between two non-resident enterprises, the transferor should, on its own or through an agent, file the tax return with the tax authority where the domestic target enterprise is located. The target enterprise should assist in the collection of the tax and submit a copy of the equity transfer agreement to the tax authority when applying for a change of tax registration as a result of the transaction. The Measures serve as guidance for non-resident enterprises on how to pay tax for China-sourced income.
Copyright ©2009 by Kaye Scholer LLP. All Rights Reserved. This publication is intended as a general guide only. It does not contain a general legal analysis or constitute an opinion of Kaye Scholer LLP or any member of the firm on the legal issues described. It is recommended that readers not rely on this general guide but that professional advice be sought in connection with individual matters. References herein to "Kaye Scholer LLP & Affiliates," "Kaye Scholer," "Kaye Scholer LLP," "the firm" and terms of similar import refer to Kaye Scholer LLP and its affiliates operating in various jurisdictions.
Also of Interest
- M&A and Corporate Governance Newsletter | Spring 2016 March 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- Q&A with Alice Young: Diversity Experiences and Achieving Success in the Legal Profession April 6, 2015 • Media Mentions
- Kaye Scholer’s Shanghai Corporate Team Recommended in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 2014年11月5日 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer’s Global Capabilities Recognized in IFLR1000 2015 October 27, 2014 • Recognitions
- M&A and Corporate Governance Newsletter Summer 2014 • Reports / Newsletters
- How Chinese Companies Can Successfully Invest in the United States June 30, 2014 • Articles
- M&A and Corporate Governance Newsletter Spring 2014 • Reports / Newsletters
- Kaye Scholer Recognized in Six Practice Areas Worldwide in Chambers Global 2014 March 13, 2014 • Recognitions
- Shanghai Corporate Department Recognized by Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 February 18, 2014 • Recognitions