Summary: On December 6, 2010, in an unpublished opinion, the Bankruptcy Appellate Panel of the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals addressed significant issues with respect to commonly found provisions in limited partnership and limited liability company agreements limiting the authority of such entities to file bankruptcy petitions. The Court declined to invalidate provisions of a limited liability company operating agreement that restricted the right of a manager, without unanimous consent of the LLC’s members, to take steps to institute a bankruptcy.
The opinion is the latest in a long line of decisions considering who is authorized to file bankruptcy petitions on behalf of business entities. While the decision fails to break new ground, discussing it provides a good opportunity to review organizational document drafting considerations relevant to secured lenders and others seeking to limit exposure to bankrupt entities of this type.
Opinion: DB Capital Holdings, LLC v. Aspen HH Ventures, LLC, and WestLB AG, BAP No. CO-10-046 (B.A.P. 10th Cir. December 6, 2010).
Also of Interest
- Tax Alert: Final Debt Regulations Have Limited Scope of Application November 30, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Kaye Scholer Receives Legal Aid Society’s Pro Bono Publico Award November 4, 2016 • Recognitions
- US News–Best Lawyers Recognizes 32 Kaye Scholer Practices and 41 Lawyers November 1, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Succeeds on Behalf of Term Loan Lenders in Defeating Confirmation... October 31, 2016 • Client Successes
- IFLR1000 Recognizes Kaye Scholer’s Global Presence, Practices and Lawyers October 19, 2016 • Recognitions
- Kaye Scholer Clients Achieve Nearly Full Recovery in Arch Coal Chapter 11 Proceeding October 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- New LSTA Par/Near Par Delayed Compensation Regime August 31, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Following Five-Day Trial, Kaye Scholer Secures Win for Medicalgorithmics August 25, 2016 • Client Successes
- Primoff Named Best in Insolvency & Restructuring at Americas Women in Business Law Awards August 22, 2016 • Recognitions