Chancellor Strine Enjoins Martin Marietta’s Attempted Hostile Takeover of Vulcan Materials for Four Months for Breach of Confidentiality Agreements
Update: On May 31, 2012, the Delaware Supreme Court affirmed the decision of Chancellor Strine in the Martin Marietta Materials, Inc. v. Vulcan Materials Company decision discussed below. The decision was issued from the bench; the Court's order indicates that an opinion will follow in due course.
May 8, 2012
Summary: On May 7, Delaware Chancellor Leo Strine held that Martin Marietta had breached two confidentiality agreements with rival and on-again/off-again merger partner Vulcan Materials and enjoined Martin Marietta’s attempted hostile takeover of Vulcan Materials for four months (the remaining term of the contractual confidentiality obligation).
The 138-page decision contains an unusually detailed analysis of confidentiality provisions by the Court in which many M&A agreements are litigated. Although the focus of Chancellor Strine’s opinion was on confidentiality agreements in the M&A context, his detailed analysis will also be relevant for lawyers in industries (e.g., pharmaceutical, biotech and technology) that frequently utilize confidentiality agreements in licensing, collaboration and technology transfer transactions.
Also of Interest
- Bloomberg Business: Moriarty Returns for “Taking Stock” ETFs & Bitcoin Podcast September 22, 2016 • Media Mentions
- O’Keefe Featured in the Daily Journal on the 2016 Proxy Season September 15, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Pro Bono Team Advances CodeEd’s Comp Sci Efforts for Coeds September 14, 2016 • Client Successes
- SEC Proposes Exhibit Hyperlink Requirements September 8, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Consumer Products: Adapting to Innovation Fall 2016 • Reports / Newsletters
- ILS and Zinsser Analytic Shareholders Sell to Gardner Denver Medical September 2, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Secures Dismissal of Merger-Related Class Action Against Baltic Trading September 1, 2016 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Advises Veracen on Merger of Equals with Turner Investments August 31, 2016 • Client Successes
- Doing Deals with Competitors: Beware of Taking Minority Equity Stakes or Board Seats August 24, 2016 • Articles