Chancellor Strine Enjoins Martin Marietta’s Attempted Hostile Takeover of Vulcan Materials for Four Months for Breach of Confidentiality Agreements
Update: On May 31, 2012, the Delaware Supreme Court affirmed the decision of Chancellor Strine in the Martin Marietta Materials, Inc. v. Vulcan Materials Company decision discussed below. The decision was issued from the bench; the Court's order indicates that an opinion will follow in due course.
May 8, 2012
Summary: On May 7, Delaware Chancellor Leo Strine held that Martin Marietta had breached two confidentiality agreements with rival and on-again/off-again merger partner Vulcan Materials and enjoined Martin Marietta’s attempted hostile takeover of Vulcan Materials for four months (the remaining term of the contractual confidentiality obligation).
The 138-page decision contains an unusually detailed analysis of confidentiality provisions by the Court in which many M&A agreements are litigated. Although the focus of Chancellor Strine’s opinion was on confidentiality agreements in the M&A context, his detailed analysis will also be relevant for lawyers in industries (e.g., pharmaceutical, biotech and technology) that frequently utilize confidentiality agreements in licensing, collaboration and technology transfer transactions.
Also of Interest
- SEC Adopts New Rules: Fund Liquidity, Reporting and Disclosure, and “Swing Pricing” December 6, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Tax Alert: Final Debt Regulations Have Limited Scope of Application November 30, 2016 • Client Alerts
- Best Lawyers Profiles Frankle as “Lawyer of the Year” November 28, 2016 • Media Mentions
- Fallon Appointed to the University at Albany Presidential Search Committee November 22, 2016 • Recognitions
- Fintech Term Sheet Negotiations: Key Issues Beyond Price November 21, 2016 • Articles
- JUVE Handbuch Recommends Frankfurt Office and Lawyers November 14, 2016 • Recognitions
- Using Technology Service Providers Is No Silver Bullet November 7, 2016 • Articles
- Kaye Scholer Advises Bregal, Motion Equity in Morrison Utility Services Sale November 7, 2016 • Client Successes
- Pitfalls of Present-Day Contracts: Hyperlinked Contract Terms November 7, 2016 • Articles