John D. Geelan serves as head of Kaye Scholer’s Employment & Labor Practice and is a member of the Complex Commercial Litigation Department. John is based in the firm’s New York office. His practice concentrates in litigation and counseling in matters relating to all aspects of the employer-employee relationship, including employment discrimination and executive compensation disputes. He has counseled and litigated suits on behalf of technology clients and financial institutions relating to non-competition agreements, trade secrets and employee non-solicitation matters.
In addition to representing corporate clients in individual suits, John has defended class actions and actions brought by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. John has also conducted in-house investigations of allegations of harassment, discrimination and employee wrongdoing. He has contributed numerous articles to the Matthew Bender Labor and Employment Law Newsletter.
John received the Thurgood Marshall Award for his work in leading a team of Kaye Scholer lawyers in obtaining the reduction in the death sentence in Haney v. Alabama.
- Allied Irish Banks in ongoing commercial and employment matters.
- Tequila Avión in numerous commercial matters, including joint venture agreements and intellectual property disputes.
- Wheels Up, an aviation start-up, in ongoing transactional, commercial and employment matters.
- Eni USA R&M Co. Inc., an integrated energy company, in employment matters.
- Cyc Fitness on numerous commercial matters.
- Juice Press LLC in various commercial matters, including transactions and trademark issues.
- Celestica Corp. in the US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit against claims of alleged fraud. All claims were dismissed.
- King Street Capital in a financial restructuring matter.
- Former CFO of a public company in the successful dismissal of a negligent misrepresentation case brought against the former CFO of a public company that went into bankruptcy due to fraud allegedly perpetrated by the company’s CEO.
- Criterion and Wells Fargo on labor, employment and ERISA issues associated with the operation of an acquired hotel.
- Peninsula Energy Limited in a series of definitive agreements with funds to obtain financing for a construction project.
- W. Childs Associates, BAML Capital Partners and Advantage Sales & Marketing in connection with the sale of Advantage Sales & Marketing to Apax Partners for US$1.8 billion.
- Disney Publishing Worldwide against allegations of discrimination and violation of Title VII.
- Marquis Jet Partners Inc. in the Southern District of New York (SDNY) against monopolization claims.
Law Clerk to Honorable A. Andrew Hauk, US District Court, Central District of California, 1990-91.
In The Market
- Kaye Scholer Represents Wheels Up in New Capital Round September 29, 2015 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Assists Wheels Up to Exercise Additional Purchase Option for 35 Beechcraft Corporation King Air 350i Turboprop Aircraft June 29, 2015 • Client Successes
- Kaye Scholer Assists Avion Tequila in Sale of Majority Equity Stake of Avion Spirits Joint Venture to Pernod Ricard July 11, 2014 • Client Successes